Student Resources

Getting Started

Accepting Your Offer, SLR, and Onboarding

Getting started as a Berkeley student requires a few steps:

  1. Please log in to your application status page to accept or decline our offer of admission through the “Reply to Offer of Admission” form.
  2. Log in to CalCentral to review the onboarding messages and checklist items under “Tasks” on My Dashboard that you need to complete in order to enroll.
  3. The Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) is one task required of all new students except those admitted to the following programs:
      • Executive MBA
      • Evening and Weekend MBA
      • Flexible Master of Social Welfare (Flex-MSW)
      • Master in Financial Engineering (MFE)
      • Master of Bioprocess Engineering (MBE)
      • Development Engineering (MDevEng)
      • Master of Design (M.Des.)
      • Master of Information and Cyber Security (MICS)
      • Masters of Information and Data Science (MIDS)
      • Online Master of Public Health (OOMPH)
      • Master in Public Affairs (MPA)
      • Molecular Science and Software Engineering (MSSE)
      • Real Estate Development & Design Program (MREDD)
      • Master of Law

Official Transcripts

All incoming students are required to submit an official final transcript, degree diploma, and/or certificate showing degree conferral. The deadline to submit documents to the Graduate Admissions Office is October 1. 

Three ways to submit your records:

  1. Recommended: Send official e-transcripts from United States institutions via a secure transcript provider (ie, Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse) directly to “University of California, Berkeley – Graduate Admissions,” by the issuing school. If we are not listed as an option in the service provider’s drop-down menu, enter our information manually: University of California, Berkeley – Graduate Admissions
    [email protected] degree documents from international institutions: Send official WES-ICAP evaluation via the secure WES provider
  2. Drop off academic records in-person to Graduate Admissions in 318 Sproul Hall.
    • If you do not need your academic records returned to you, please submit them via the drop box or tray in front of 318 Sproul Hall. Please attach the form provided to your academic records.
    • If you need your academic records returned to you, please visit us during open office hours on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9am-11pm and 1-4pm. Please bring your original academic records and a copy for the admissions staff to certify. This may take 15-20 minutes depending on availability.
  3. Mail your academic records in a sealed envelope bearing the institution’s stamp or seal to:
    • University of California, Berkeley
      Graduate Admissions Office
      318 Sproul Hall #5900
      Berkeley, CA 94720-5900

Note: If you are a UC Berkeley undergraduate, we do not require official transcripts from you.

If you do not expect to graduate by the date listed on your application, or if you have problems concerning the award of your undergraduate degree, please notify Graduate Admissions by emailing [email protected] as soon as possible.

New Graduate Student Orientation (NGSO)

The Graduate Division’s New Graduate Student Orientation (NGSO) for incoming students will be hosted virtually in August. We will have a series of weeklong virtual workshops, concluding with in-person community and social events. Registration is required. 

New graduate students will receive a series of emails throughout the summer that will include a schedule of workshops and events. NGSO is optional, however a good complement to any orientations that your program may be offering and/or requiring. 

Be sure to check with your academic program for information about additional orientations and requirements.

Working With Your Department

Connect with your Graduate Student Affairs Officer (GSAO) about program-specific next steps including funding opportunities and other details. Your GSAO is an important staff resource to help guide you through your education at Berkeley.

CalNet ID, Email, CalCentral, and Cal Student Central

CalNet ID

After you accept your offer of admission, you can create your CalNet ID, which will become the basis of your UC Berkeley online identity. You will use your CalNet ID to create your campus email, access campus web-based applications, and other services.


A bConnected account is your official campus email, calendar, and document-sharing account, and comes with unlimited data storage. All registered students are required to have their own. You are responsible for communications sent to and from your “” address and for data stored in your bConnected account.


Cal Central combines multiple campus systems into one easy-to-use, mobile-friendly place. Check email, calendar, academic progress, financial aid, bCourses, and more, anywhere. You will also see notifications and checklist items for any required tasks that you will need to complete, including mandatory sexual violence and sexual harassment prevention trainings and immunization requirements.

Cal Student Central

Cal Student Central (not to be confused with CalCentral student portal) is your destination for key university business related to financial aid, fees and billing, payments, disbursements, registration, and enrollment. Located in 120 Sproul Hall they offer services online, over the phone, and in person. Start by using their chat feature or searching their website for information.

Becoming a Registered Student

Becoming a fully registered student involves three steps: enrolling in classes, paying fees, and ensuring that all active blocks (medical, conduct, financial) are cleared. Note: you will NOT have any fees assessed to your account until you have enrolled in at least one class.

Enrolling in Classes

While most graduate and professional students will follow the standard process of enrollment in CalCentral, some may have different enrollment dates and processes.

If you are a student attending one of the following graduate and professional programs, please contact your advisor for more information about class enrollment;

  • School of Law
  • Haas School of Business MBA, EMBA, EWMBA
  • School of Optometry OD
  • School of Information MIDS and MICS
  • School of Public Health OOMPH
  • Goldman School of Public Policy MPA
  • College of Natural Resources
  • Master of Real Estate Development + Design (MRED+D)

For all others: Enrollment appointments in CalCentral will be available for incoming students starting July 3, 2023. You MUST enroll early to be eligible for academic appointments, stipends from University fellowships and grants, and access to services and programs.

For more information, see the Enrollment FAQ Page, or email [email protected] for technical issues, or your Graduate Student Affairs Officer (GSAO) for advising help.

Billing and Payment Options


Your first billing statement will be available in early August and must be viewed .

  • Paper billing statements are not generated; your only notification will be by email.
  • Billing statements are generated at the beginning of each month; once the billing statement is created, it does not update.
  • Before making a payment, it is important to first view your updated balance by logging into CalCentral.
  • If you are eligible for financial aid, please note that the August billing statement will not show your financial aid payments, including loan disbursements, for the Fall semester.

All students are encouraged to set up direct deposit with the University to avoid the issuance of paper checks.

Payment options

Use CalCentral “My Finances” for billing activities, including viewing new charges, account balances, transaction history, and paying charges.

Students can pay their student account online by eCheck at no cost, with a credit card for a 2.75% convenience fee, via 529 savings plans with electronic payment options, or with foreign currency through either Flywire or Convera International Funds Transfer (IFT).

You must pay your registration fees in full or enroll in the Fee Payment Plan (which has a $60 non-refundable participation fee). The deadline for new graduate students to select this payment option is late September 2023.



Students are classified as residents or nonresidents after completing the Statement of Legal Residence shortly after being admitted to the University. Graduate students (U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and some eligible non-immigrants) who enter UC Berkeley as nonresidents and who establish residency for the required year may be classified as residents for tuition purposes within one year after their arrival. These students then receive the benefit of paying at the lower resident rate.

The classification process is not automatic. Continuing nonresident students who have made California their permanent home and believe that they are eligible for resident status must submit an online residency classification petition.

Supporting documentation can be uploaded to CalCentral prior to established deadlines. Even though few nonresident students submit a petition to change their residency status until the end of their first academic year at Berkeley, you must start the process of fulfilling the residency requirements as soon as you arrive.

What Should You Do Once You Arrive in California?

You will be required to document that you were physically present in California for all of the three months during the summer previous to the term for which you are petitioning for residency. For the full text of the campus residency policy, what students should do once they arrive, and applicable deadlines, see Residency (for tuition purposes).

Please review Residency Requirements: Graduate Students. Residency generally requires continuous physical presence in California. If you remain in the state during non-academic periods this will count towards your physical presence requirement. For residency questions, contact the Residence Affairs unit.

This summary is not a complete explanation of the policies regarding residency. Changes may be made in the residence requirements between the publication date of this guide and the relevant residence determination date. International students with F-1 or J-1 visas / non- immigrant status are not eligible to establish residency. See the “International Students” section for more details.

Cal 1 Card + AC Transit Card

Cal 1 Card

The Cal 1 Card is the official campus photo ID card. It is used for identity verification purposes as well as to access various campus services, facilities, and events. It is also linked to a debit account in which you may deposit funds and then use them to pay for goods and services at multiple campus library locations and dining facilities as well as other merchant locations which now include placing Grubhub+ orders.

AC Transit Card

The AC Transit EasyPass Clipper Card is a separate card allowing you access to Class Pass unlimited ridership privileges on AC Transit bus lines. Eligible students will receive the EasyPass Clipper Card concurrently with the Cal 1 Card.

Financial Support

Need-Based Financial Aid

Federal Direct Loans, work-study awards, and California Dream loans are coordinated with the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office and require students to file a  Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA), independent of the fellowship application.

Only U.S. citizens or students with permanent resident status may apply for federal loans and work-study. In most cases, students will be eligible to borrow Federal Direct Loans sufficient to cover their academic year budget (tuition and fees, living expenses, books, etc.), minus the awards from other sources. Students eligible for an AB540 nonresident supplemental tuition waiver may apply for a California Dream loan. In most cases, students eligible for California Dream Loans will be able to borrow $4,000 up to a maximum of $20,000 per year. If you have not filed a 2023–24 FAFSA or California Dream Act Application, do so as soon as possible to ensure that you have loan funding available for the 2023–24 academic year.

Graduate students may be eligible for federal work-study by applying for financial aid via the FAFSA. If there is financial need as determined by the financial aid application, then students can request a conversion of eligible need-based loans into work-study via CalCentral:

  • Log in to CalCentral > My Finances > View Awards > Loans > Convert to Work-Study
    • The initial maximum work-study award for graduate students can be up to $10,000.

Direct questions about student loans and federal work-study to Cal Student Central, or review details about “work-study eligibility” for graduate students.

Emergency Loans

Emergency loans are available for registered graduate students who need temporary assistance for living expenses or who need help to get registered.

Graduate Student Funding

Graduate Student Funding is an office within the Graduate Division that assists academic and professional programs with administering funding to graduate students.

The nature of funding varies widely, ranging from large competitive fellowships that pay tuition and stipends to academic student employment (Graduate Student Instructor, Reader, Tutor, or Graduate Student Researcher) to conference travel and awards designed to help students manage student loan debt. The Graduate Division can help you navigate your funding options

To get started:

Contact us directly: [email protected]

Academic Student Employees (ASE), Graduate Student Researchers (GSR), and Graduate Student Instructors, Readers, & Tutors

The Graduate Academic Appointment  Office administers policy related to graduate student academic employment. Many graduate students are offered academic appointments, such as Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) or Graduate Student Researcher (GSR). If you work in an academic role, you’ll find helpful information on the Graduate Student Academic Appointments webpage. All ASE and GSR appointments are covered by collective bargaining agreements with the UAW. See the UAW Academic Student Employee contract and the UAW Graduate Student Researcher contract for more information. 

You can browse open GSI / GSR positions on our website. Departments and research centers manage their student hiring individually so you can also refer to your advisor and/or program or school website for additional openings.

Funding for Student Parents and Caregivers

Expecting doctoral students may be eligible for childbirth accommodation funding and reimbursement for child care expenses. Student Parents may be eligible for the Graduate Division Student Parent Grant. In concert with the Student Parent Grant, the Graduate Division provides caregiver grants to students who support adult dependents. More information and applications can be found by visiting Graduate Division’s Parent and Caregiver Support page.

Financial Wellness Resources

Center for Financial Wellness

The Center for Financial Wellness is a peer-to-peer financial wellness program housed in the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. We offer: 

  • One-on-one appointments to help students manage their personal finances in college and prepare for their career. Schedule an appointment
  • Workshops on creating a spending plan, managing debt, saving money, understanding credit, choosing a credit card, monitoring identity theft to name a few. 
  • Tips, tools and resources: resources on student loans, financing graduate school and a budget calculator.

iGrad Personal Finance Tool

Sign up for iGrad. iGrad is an online personal finance tool, free to all UC Berkeley students, faculty, and staff. Your personalized account will provide access to courses, tools, and challenges.

Basic Needs Center

The Basic Needs Center (BNC) is a virtual and physical hub located in the lower-level of the MLK Student Union that supports students’ holistic wellbeing through a set of essential programs and services.
BNC programs include education, prevention, & emergency relief for the following areas: food, housing, finances, health, and wellness. All students including undergraduate, graduate, international, and undocumented students are eligible.

Students can receive support by completing an Assistance Form.

Academic Advising & Graduate Degrees Office

Academic Advising

The Graduate Student Affairs Officer (GSAO) in your department is a key partner in your academic journey and is committed to helping you understand the landscape of your department and the university. That person, in addition to your faculty academic advisor(s), will support you in understanding logistical, academic, and financial matters at Berkeley and in your graduate program.

All graduate students are required to maintain a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 (B) in all upper division and graduate course work. Check with your GSAO for the requirements in your department, as some departments may have additional standards for their students.

Degree Progress

Monitoring your degree progress is vital in ensuring you’re on track to graduate on time. There are a variety of tools and information at your disposal to check the progress on your Master’s or Doctoral degree, with degrees staff working alongside departments to track your progress from registration to graduation. After speaking with staff in your department, you can consult with our staff about Qualifying Exams, advancement to candidacy, filing fees, probation, and re-enrollment.

Graduate Degrees

The Degrees Office, 318 Sproul Hall, monitors your progress as a student from first registration to graduation. The Degrees staff can help you with problems or concerns about registration, qualifying exams, advancement to candidacy, and ultimately filing for your degree.

Check to see which academic progress advisor can answer questions related to your program, visit our Academic Progress Advisors webpage.

Research, Teaching, & Professional Development

Teaching and Research

Many graduate students are most commonly employed as Graduate Student Researchers (GSR), or Academic Student Employees (ASE) like Graduate Student Instructors (GSI), Readers, and Tutors.

In addition to postings available in your home department, you can browse open GSI / GSR positions on our website.

Before you begin any work, you should first meet with the staff in your hiring department to complete all the necessary paperwork and ensure that you understand what your position will entail and what to expect in terms of salary and fee remissions. About academic employment at Berkeley.

In order to teach, there are teaching preparation requirements for ASEs also apply and are laid out in the Graduate Council Policy on Appointments and Mentoring of GSIs. More about Academic Employment.

Graduate Professional Development

Graduate Professional Development (GradPro) supports graduate students in developing professional skills and pursuing diverse career opportunities within and beyond the academy. GradPro provides direct student services, such as individual consultations and goal-setting groups. In addition, GradPro serves as a central hub where students can find information about the extensive academic, professional, and career development programming offered by a wide range of campus units.

GradPro also assists departments and faculty in developing professional development programming such as alumni panels, workshops, courses, and LinkedIn groups. Resources on the GradPro website include:

  • a comprehensive calendar of campus professional development events
  • information about the many online tools to which Berkeley students have free access
  • online Professional Development Guide specifically for Berkeley graduate students, which offers detailed information about how to develop academic and professional skills

GradPro also sends out a bimonthly Professional Development Digest, which informs students about upcoming events.

The Graduate Writing Center

The Graduate Writing Center assists graduate students in the development of academic and professional skills necessary to successfully complete their graduate programs and prepare for future faculty and professional positions. The Graduate Writing Center offers:

  • individual consultations with Graduate Writing Consultants
  • workshops on topics such as academic writing, grant writing, dissertation writing, editing, and preparing articles for publication
  • writing groups & boot camps
  • a graduate-level course on academic writing in the spring (GSPDP 320)
  • Summer Institute for Preparing Future Faculty

Berkeley Career Engagement

Berkeley Career Engagement offers services for graduate students including confidential appointments with Ph.D. career counselors, C.V. and résumé assistance, and career development workshops on topics such as interview skills, career exploration, negotiation strategies, and job searching within and beyond academia. The Center also offers a Master’s/ Ph.D. Career Fair, employer information sessions, networking events, and a Ph.D. Career Colloquium.

GSI Teaching and Resource Center

The GSI Teaching and Resource Center prepares graduate student instructors (GSIs) for teaching they will do at Berkeley and for the teaching they will do in future academic and nonacademic careers. The Center provides:

Language Proficiency Program

The Center also administers the Language Proficiency Program, which supports prospective and current multilingual GSIs through oral English proficiency screening, testing an oral English skills course, and individual consultations.

Students who do not speak English as a native language must demonstrate oral English proficiency to be appointed as a GSI, unless they have completed all of their undergraduate education (with the exception of a study abroad year) and received an undergraduate degree from a college or university in the U.S. or another country in which English is the sole language of instruction (with the exception of instruction in foreign language departments) and the primary spoken language of the community.

English language proficiency for teaching is determined by the speaking section score of the iBT TOEFL or the IELTS taken prior to arrival in Berkeley or by the Oral Proficiency Test (OPT) offered by the Language Proficiency Program at UC Berkeley.

University Library

UC Berkeley is home to one of the finest research libraries in the U.S., encompassing nearly thirteen million items as well as access to an extensive array of online resources. Your Cal1 Card is your library card; you will use your Calnet ID and passphrase to access online sources from off campus.

The Library website is your first source of information about library resources and services. Use UC Library Search to access the collections of the entire UC System and beyond.

Visit the Information for Graduate Students and GSIs page, which includes:

  • Information about borrowing, off-campus access to electronic resources, Interlibrary Loan, and more. 
  • Services for instructors include workshops on library research, consultations about research assignments, and course reserves.
  • Subject Guides that include article databases and specialized research tools in your discipline.
  • How to contact your Subject Librarian, who is available to support your research and teaching.
  • Research assistance, available by email, appointment, and 24/7 chat.

The Library also supports Scholarly Communication, Digital Humanities research, and Data/GIS services.

International Students

Berkeley International Office (BIO)

Address: 2150 Shattuck Avenue Suite 500, Berkeley, CA 94704

Email: [email protected]

BIO provides advising on non-immigrant visa matters, financial, personal, and cultural issues. With Fall instruction returning to primarily in-person, our staff is ready to assist graduate students with visa and travel support. Because things can change rather quickly, we encourage you to read our newsletters for the latest updates and to be familiar with all the plans that are being put in place by monitoring the office’s COVID-19 Updates and FAQ webpage.

For all the information listed in this section, please consult the Berkeley International Office to confirm accuracy, requirements, and recommended next steps.

International Student Orientation Programs

BIO will host orientation programs and social events both virtually and in-person throughout the month of August. All international students are invited to attend.

The Non-Immigrant Information Form (NIF)

All non-immigrant students must complete the online NIF as part of their acceptance of admission. This includes students who intend to hold F-1 or J-1 student status, as well as other non-immigrant classifications such as A-1, E-2, J-2, H-1B/H-4 and L-1/L-2.

Before you can access the online NIF, you must first submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) to the University. It may take up to 48 hours for the system to update before you can access it in CalCentral.

If it has been more than 48 hours and your NIF checklist item hasn’t appeared in CalCentral, email [email protected].

Applying for a Student Visa

A visa is required to enter the U.S. for anyone who does not have legal U.S. permanent resident status or citizenship (with the exception of Canadian nationals who may enter the U.S. with their I-20 or DS-2019 and passport). Allow for sufficient time in your planning to apply for your visa. Start by checking the U.S. embassy or consulate website to get instructions, make an interview appointment, and find out about visa appointment and processing wait times.

Complete the iStart 101 Course for International Graduate Students

All international graduate students must complete the online pre-arrival orientation course entitled iStart 101 before classes commence.

Making Travel Arrangements

International students are asked to follow the guidance of the Berkeley International Office before arranging or changing travel plans for the fall semester.

If you are transferring your SEVIS immigration record from another U.S. school, please review the travel information and steps to request a transfer of your SEVIS record.

Mandatory Online Arrival Notification

All New, Transfer, EAP, and Returning (withdrawn for one semester or more) F-1/J-1 international students are required to complete an online document check to confirm their arrival in the U.S. so that BIO can activate their F-1 or J-1 immigration records. After your arrival in the U.S., complete the following tasks in your CalCentral account:

  • Arrival Confirmation form
  • U.S. Address & Phone Reporting

Housing & Dining

Campus Housing

Living in UC Berkeley housing offers a number of benefits: convenient locations, helpful amenities (most units are furnished), and the opportunity to live alongside other Berkeley graduate students. Graduate students applications are accepted via the Housing web portal on an ongoing basis; the earliest applicants receive priority. Get more details on each option, rates and locations.  

Ida Louise Jackson Graduate House

The Ida Louise Jackson Graduate House is located one block from the campus on tree-lined College Avenue. 

  • The complex offers two-, three-, four-, five-, and six-bedroom shared furnished apartments.
  • Utilities are included. A twelve-month lease is required. 
  • Students with specific fellowships receive priority.

Manville Apartments

The Manville Apartments is a secured complex of studio apartments reserved for law and graduate students. 

  • Located three blocks from the southwestern corner of campus 
  • Walking distance of downtown Berkeley, near shops, banks, movie theaters, restaurants, and public transportation

Albany Village Graduate Student Apartments

The Albany Village Apartments are expected to open Fall 2024.

  • Located 3.5 miles west of campus, adjacent to University Village Apartments
  • The new transit plaza in front of the apartments runs a direct AC transit line to campus
  • Apartments include in unit washer and dryers 

Intersection Apartments

The Intersection Apartments opened in early 2022 in vibrant, nearby Emeryville. 

  • Rooms are furnished, light-filled, airy and modern, with oversized windows.
  • Served by several bus lines to campus, Emeryville is a dynamic and diverse city, home to a wide range of restaurants, cafes, shopping centers, movie theaters, and local businesses. 
  • Graduate students receive priority enrollment.

Family Student Housing

UC Berkeley’s Family Student Housing complex, called University Village, offers unfurnished apartments for married/partnered students, with or without children, and single parents. With 974 apartments and townhouses, University Village has its own recreational and community center, a café, laundry rooms, and child care center. The 58-acre complex is located 3.5 miles northwest of campus in the nearby town of Albany, known for its excellent school district. The complex is served by AC Transit and the local bus system; registered students can ride for free. For more information, email [email protected], or call (510) 642-4109.

Alternative and Off-Campus Housing

The Berkeley Student Cooperative

The Berkeley Student Cooperative, known as co-ops, includes buildings that offer various accommodations, such as rooms, houses, and shared apartments for single students in single or double occupancy rooms.

International House

International House, located at the eastern edge of the campus, provides room and board accommodations, and features an exciting array of intercultural activities and programs for students and scholars from the United States and dozens of other countries.

Off-Campus Rental Housing

Many graduate students reside in rental housing in Berkeley or nearby communities and find their housing through the CalRentals website, a rental listing service that’s free for currently registered and newly admitted students.

Other Housing Resources

  • Berkeley International Office has a helpful webinar, links to Facebook groups and other resources.
  • The Graduate Division also offers helpful Housing Resources, which include options for private rooming and co-living spaces and property management companies in the area.

Dining and Meal Plans

Get an off-campus meal plan for graduate students from Cal Dining. With a variety of flexible plans by the semester, you can pick the right plan to suit your life. All come with nutritious, flavorful food; you’re only responsible for picking what to eat!

Choose from three meal plans with just flex dollars, or four meal plans with a combination of meal swipes and flex dollars. A lot of options mean a lot of flexibility to meet your needs. You can stay focused on your education and your life, while still enjoying healthy meals. Learn more about Graduate Student Meal Plans through Cal Dining.

Technology Resources

Student Technology Help Desk

The Student Helpdesk provides free tech support to all students at UC Berkeley in-person, by phone and via email. We encourage you to utilize these services for your personal needs and in conjunction with any courses you may be teaching or enrolled in. 

The helpdesk can assist with:

  • Resolving Wi-Fi problems and getting online.
  • Installing and optimizing free campus software (e.g. Adobe, Microsoft, Zoom, etc.).
  • Troubleshooting device issues like blue screens, slow performance, and data recovery.
  • Setting up CalNet 2-Step, removing malware, and ensuring security.
  • Locating campus resources for printing, laptop lending, creative labs, and much more.

Student Technology Equity Program (STEP)

STEP provides long-term loans of Lenovo ThinkPad laptops and other technology hardware to currently enrolled students. Eligibility is based on financial need and instructional role (e.g. GSI).

Productivity and Collaboration Tools


bCourses is Berkeley’s Learning Management System (LMS). It is an online system specifically designed for the delivery and communications of course content, online engagement between students and instructors, and the management of student work in support of face-to-face and hybrid classes.

Software @ Berkeley

Software @ Berkeley offers no-cost downloads of campus site-licensed software, including Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and integrated firewall/antivirus programs.


bConnected offers Google Suite services for UC Berkeley, including bMail, bCal, bDrive and more. Additional collaboration tools such as Box, Zoom, and other video conferencing tools are also available to all graduate students.

Campus Wi-Fi


The recommended Wi-Fi service to use while on campus is eduroam. Available in almost all buildings across UC Berkeley, eduroam is the most stable and secure, authenticated service providing network access on campus and at many institutions around the world.


Berkeley-IoT is the eduroam equivalent Wi-Fi access for devices that do not support the username and password-based authentication in use by eduroam – available where eduroam can be found.


Berkeley-Visitor provides a basic level of Wi-Fi access for those without a CalNet ID. Berkeley-Visitor is the new and improved replacement for CalVisitor.

Security Policies and Responsibilities

Policies such as data security and copyright govern the broad range of electronic activities that you may engage in as a student. You are responsible for familiarizing yourself with your roles and responsibilities in your capacity as a student, instructor and/or researcher. Report a security incident to [email protected] or (510) 664-9000.

Student Records and Privacy

As a student, you will have a variety of records maintained by the University of California. Disclosure of information contained in these records is governed by state and federal law and by campus policy. When releasing public directory information, the Graduate Division adheres to the Policy Governing Disclosure of Information From Student Records. Directory information will be released on request unless the student has indicated in CalCentral preference that the record be kept confidential. The Graduate Division also confirms honors and awards received by registered students for purposes of funder verification following the guidelines above. Academic appointments are considered employment data and are verified by the Human Resources Office.

Research, Teaching, and Learning


D-LAB assists graduate students with the full range of research development, research design and data acquisition through consulting, training, and tech support.

Educational Technology Services

Educational Technology Services (ETS) provides audiovisual, computer projection, and podcast technology for classrooms, along with training and support of technologies to enrich teaching and learning experiences.

Academic Innovation Studio

The Academic Innovation Studio brings together faculty, researchers, graduate students, and service providers to inspire and support experimentation, connect people, and share ideas.

Health, Wellness, & Mental Health Services

Health Services and Insurance

University Health Services (UHS)

University Health Services (UHS) at the Tang Center is a comprehensive health center, complete with medical, mental health, wellness, and insurance programs all within blocks of campus. Many services are also offered virtually. Services provided include primary, urgent, and specialty medical care; pharmacy, laboratory, and radiology services; physical therapy; counseling and psychological services, including a career counseling library; health promotion services; and eTang online student portal. Registered students can use all services at UHS whether or not they have Berkeley’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).

Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

As a condition of enrollment at the University of California, all students are required to have major medical insurance that meets UC-wide standardized criteria. Students are automatically enrolled in Berkeley SHIP, administered by UHS. SHIP coverage is worldwide and includes excellent medical, mental health, dental and vision benefits. The Fall semester coverage period is August 1 – December 31, and the Spring semester covers January 1 – July 31. Dependent plans and a free Insurance Helpline are also offered.

Mental Health and Wellness

We know that graduate school can be life changing and full of exciting discoveries. However rewarding, we know it can be challenging to balance your personal lives, coursework, research, grading and endless other responsibilities. Take a moment to become familiar with the mental health support available to Berkeley graduate students.

Graduate Wellness Center

The Graduate Wellness Center, located in 444 Eshleman Hall, is a satellite office for Counseling and Psychological Services and the Disabled Students Program. The Wellness Center provides graduate-focused wellness and mental health services in a location where graduate students do not have to worry about running into faculty or students they teach.

Wellness is personal, multi-dimensional, and our needs are frequently changing. This was developed with unique communities in mind and offers tools that will help you identify your own system of wellness on campus.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) through UHS is free of charge and all students have access to mental health services regardless of insurance. Students have access to a variety of resources; online self-help tools (Therapy Assistance Online), Let’s Talk consultations, skill-based workshops, counseling groups, individual and couples counseling and referrals to additional support resources, on- and off-campus providers.

Recreational Sports

You can find just about everything you’ll need to stay fit with Berkeley Recreational Sports: swimming pools, racquetball and handball courts, weight rooms, cardiovascular machines, basketball, volleyball, badminton courts, intramural sports leagues, group exercise classes and more. Student memberships are included in campus fees, so you don’t pay anything extra to become a member. Students also get discounted rates on personal training.

Graduate Student Life and Support

Office of Graduate Student Life

The Office of Graduate Student Life supports graduate students with issues that affect their well-being, such as mental health and wellbeing, housing, basic needs, and parenting support. The Director of Graduate Student Life works hand-in-hand with campus partners including the Graduate Assembly, Student Affairs, and other service units to make programs and resources more accessible and relevant for graduate students.

Disabled Students Program (DSP)

The Disabled Students Program (DSP) provides a wide range of academic accommodation services for eligible students. Graduate students are eligible to access disability-related academic and employment accommodations. When a medical or health condition creates barriers to learning and achieving mastery of required academic tasks, or creates a barrier to performing job duties, graduate students may be eligible for an accommodation that provides reasonable and effective equal access upon request:

Student Legal Services

The Attorney for Students advises currently registered Cal students regarding their legal questions, rights, and obligations. A student legal consultation might include (but is not limited to) one of the following examples: a landlord-tenant dispute, a citation for a criminal infraction or misdemeanor, filing an action in California Small Claims Court, questions related to debt and/or collection actions, issues arising from a car accident or auto insurance, or questions about family law.

Ombuds Office for Students and Postdoctoral Appointees

The Ombuds Office is a neutral, confidential resource for informal conflict resolution of a university-related issue, problem, or dispute. The Ombudsperson will listen to your concerns, discuss your options, coach you in conflict and communication, and help you determine your next steps. Additionally, the Ombudsperson can help you understand your rights and responsibilities, clarify policies and procedures, and, when appropriate, may serve as a mediator as well as assist in facilitating resolutions. Use of our services is voluntary and at no cost to visitors.  Call (510) 642-5754 for an appointment.

Peer Support

Getting support from your peers can make all the difference. Here is a summary of different Graduate Students Peer Mentorship Opportunities including Graduate Peer Support Providers (PSPs) who meet one-on-one with graduate students at UC Berkeley to provide assistance in navigating the complex processes related to mental health, basic needs, and academia.

Also available are Diversity and Community Fellows, Professional Development Liaisons (PDLs), Writing and Teaching Consultants.

Graduate Assembly

The Graduate Assembly is the official representative body of graduate and professional students at the University of California, Berkeley. Its mission is to improve the lives of graduate and professional students and to foster a vibrant, inclusive graduate student community. The GA advocates for graduate student rights, funds student groups on campus, and directly manages projects and initiatives which support graduate student communities. Current GA projects include the Graduate Minority Student Project, Graduate Social Club, Graduate Student Parent Advocacy Project, Graduate Student Wellness Project, Graduate Womxn’s Project, Sexual Orientation and Gender Advocacy, the Womxn of Color Initiative, and the International and Undocumented Students Project.

The LEAD Center

There are over 150 registered graduate student organizations (RGSOs) across 15 unique interest areas, including academics, cultural identity groups, professional organizations, and many more. The LEAD Center offers administrative and advising support to all RGSOs to assist with basic operations, leadership development, and strategic planning. Visit the CalLink Organization Directory for a list of Student Organizations.

Public Service Center

The Public Service Center (PSC) brings together students, faculty, and communities in support of social justice, civic engagement, and transformative social change.The PSC has numerous public service and community engagement programs in collaboration with more than 250 community partners who work in such fields as education, social welfare, public health, criminal justice, and local and national government. The PSC offers programming, paid positions, and trainings for graduate students. The PSC connects graduate students to colleagues in the fields of engaged scholarship, service-learning, civic engagement, and community-based participatory research and supports those who are developing community-based courses and research. The PSC offers programs for graduate students to mentor undergraduate public service leaders and convenes graduate learning communities and workshops on engaged scholarship.

University Library

UC Berkeley is home to one of the finest research libraries in the U.S., encompassing nearly thirteen million items as well as access to an extensive array of online resources. Your Cal1 Card is your library card; you will use your Calnet ID and passphrase to access online sources from off campus.

The Library website is your first source of information about library resources and services. Use UC Library Search to access the collections of the entire UC System and beyond.

Visit the Information for Graduate Students and GSIs page, which includes:

  • Information about borrowing, off-campus access to electronic resources, Interlibrary Loan, and more. 
  • Services for instructors include workshops on library research, consultations about research assignments, and course reserves.
  • Subject Guides that include article databases and specialized research tools in your discipline.
  • How to contact your Subject Librarian, who is available to support your research and teaching.
  • Research assistance, available by email, appointment, and 24/7 chat.

The Library also supports Scholarly Communication, Digital Humanities research, and Data/GIS services.

Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion

Disabled Students Program (DSP)

The Disabled Students Program (DSP) provides a wide range of academic accommodation services for eligible students. Graduate students are eligible to access disability-related academic and employment accommodations. When a medical or health condition creates barriers to learning and achieving mastery of required academic tasks, or creates a barrier to performing job duties, graduate students may be eligible for an accommodation that provides reasonable and effective equal access upon request:

The Office for Graduate Diversity (OGD)

The Office for Graduate Diversity serves as a resource for the admissions process, academic support, financial advice, and professional development. It also provides a forum for ideas and programs designed to enhance the educational experience of underrepresented students, including those who are undocumented, first-generation college students, and those who are educationally and financially challenged. 

OGD holds workshops, trainings, and community building events throughout the year, as well as individual advising on admissions, application assistance, strategic planning for academic success, and post-graduation planning. OGD also operates the Inclusive Excellence Hub for graduate students.

Inclusive Excellence Hub

The new Inclusive Excellence Hub at UC Berkeley is a unique, welcoming venue where underrepresented graduate students can find camaraderie and build multi-disciplinary networks of their peers. Located in a newly renovated building, the Hub is the first campus-wide community space exclusively dedicated to increasing excellence through diversity and belonging among Berkeley’s graduate students.

The American Indian Graduate Program (AIGP)

AIGP provides graduate students, faculty, and administrative staff access to a series of Native American career leadership seminars and programming that promote professional mentorship with faculty, fellow graduate students, and Native American professionals engaged in tribally inclined/Indigenous centered  professional careers at UC Berkeley. Contact us at [email protected]

Diversity and Community Fellows Program

Diversity and Community Fellows advance and implement the diversity and inclusion goals of OGD and the Graduate Division. Critical components of this work include but are not limited to, supporting an inclusive graduate community and enhancing the cultural, academic, and professional experience of historically underrepresented students (e.g., students of color, low income, first-generation, system-impacted, undocumented, and LGBTQ+ students, etc.). Fellows will work across and within academic units to create healthy communities for graduate students. 


Path to Professoriate Program (P2P)

The Professoriate Program engages up to 100 first-year Ph.D. students from underrepresented backgrounds in workshops and structured activities around demystifying the route in their discipline to the Assistant Professorship and establishing and building a publication pipeline. Participants meet in disciplinary cohorts.

STEM First Year Initiative Program (STEM*FYI)

The STEM*FYI program is dedicated to increasing the success and retention of historically underrepresented students among all graduate STEM fields at UC Berkeley. We welcome all first-year STEM scholars of color, women, LGBTQ+, low-income, first-generation, disabled, and undocumented students to form an alliance with advanced graduate STEM ambassadors who are committed to building a strong and diverse community of future scientists. 

Centers for Educational Justice and Community Engagement (EJCE)

EJCE at UC Berkeley is a collaborative of offices and centers that advocate for, build capacity with, and dialogue among and across diverse communities. Its community engagement approach enriches the academic success of students while fostering a campus climate that honors the dignity of all people. The partner spaces include:

Centers for Educational Equity and Excellence (CE3)

CE3 offers a comprehensive array of counseling programs, supplemental aid, and scholarships to support former foster youth, veterans, student parents, undocumented students, and transfer students of all ages and life experiences.

Berkeley Hope Scholars (BHS)

BHS provides holistic guidance and counseling to all incoming freshman, transfer, graduate, and continuing students who are current and former foster youth, probation youth, or were orphaned before the age of 18. You can read more about our eligibility here. As a unit of the Centers for Educational Equity & Excellence (CE3) our goal is to create a safe and welcoming community and provide our students with a variety of resources.

Cal Veterans Service Center (CVSC)

The Cal Veteran Services Center is dedicated to providing programs and services in support of the academic and personal success of veteran and military-connected students. As a supportive and inclusive community, the Cal Veterans Services Center is committed to increasing veteran and military-connected students access to and awareness of campus resources and enrichment opportunities. The center also promotes campus and community engagement and leadership development that enriches and supports students’ academic and professional goals.

Resources For Student Parents

Academic Policies

The Graduate Council of the Academic Senate supports academic accommodations for graduate students with substantial parenting responsibilities, including (when applicable) extension of time for academic milestones. For details, see Student Parent policies.

The Early Childhood Education Program (ECEP)

The University’s Early Childhood Education Program (ECEP) is a year-round program that provides early childhood services to infants, toddlers, and preschoolers not yet eligible for Pre-K or Kindergarten. ECEP operates five centers, located near the Berkeley campus and University Village in Albany. ECEP reserves a number of spaces each year for the children of student parents, and also provides subsidized tuition options to those who qualify. Early applications are recommended.

Emergency Back-Up Child Care

Parents who are currently registered Berkeley students are eligible for highly-subsidized back-up child care from a leading nationwide provider of care services. When regular child care arrangements are unavailable and parents need to attend to academic responsibilities Back-Up Child Care may be available.

Financial Support for Student Parents and Caregivers

Registered graduate student parents (single or married) with dependent children, or those caring for dependent adults may apply for a variety of aid programs.

  • Graduate Division Student Parent Grant
  • Graduate Division Caregiver Grant
  • Graduate Assembly Student Parent Travel Award
  • Childbirth Accommodation Funding
  • Reimbursement Program for Graduate Student Researchers
  • Reimbursement Program for Academic Student Employees (GSIs, Readers, Tutors)
  • Paid Leave for Academic Student Employees and Graduate Student Researchers


Student Parent Center

The Student Parent Center is committed to the holistic support and success of a highly motivated population of undergraduate and graduate students who are engaged scholars, as well as devoted parents at UC Berkeley. The center is a centralized multi-purpose campus resource, where students can seek informed advice, develop leadership skills, engage in informal study groups, nurse babies, change diapers, celebrate achievements, recover from setbacks, and form lasting friendships. For more information, visit the Student Parent Center website.

Berkeley Parents Network

Created by UC Berkeley graduate students in 1993, this independent, free, volunteer-run online community offers parent- to-parent advice and local referrals via email newsletters, on childcare, pediatricians, schools, and much more.

Graduate Student Parent Advocacy Project (GSPA)

The Graduate Student Parent Advocacy Project is a project within the Graduate Assembly that advocates for student parents and develops programs to support their academic and personal success. Contact the Project Director: [email protected].

Family Student Housing

UC Berkeley’s Family Student Housing complex, called University Village, offers unfurnished apartments for married/partnered students, with or without children, and single parents. With 974 apartments and townhouses, University Village has its own recreational and community center, a café, laundry rooms, and child care center. The 58-acre complex is located 3.5 miles northwest of campus in the nearby town of Albany, known for its excellent school district. The complex is served by AC Transit and the local bus system; registered students can ride for free. For more information, email [email protected], or call (510) 642-4109.

Campus Safety & Transportation

Campus Safety

On campus and in the Bay Area, you should take the precautions you would in any urban setting. When you arrive, take the opportunity to tour the campus during daylight hours to become familiar with your surroundings. Notice the locations of the campus blue-light emergency phones.

The UC Police Department (UCPD), a full-service police department operating around the clock, responds to law enforcement, fire, and medical incidents for all UC Berkeley properties within the cities of Berkeley, Oakland, Richmond, Kensington, and Albany. 

Things to know:

  • When you are on campus at night, stay on lighted, well-traveled walkways, or use the free Night Safety Services such as BearWALK or the shuttle programs.
  • UCPD regularly publishes WarnMe notifications regarding Timely Warnings of crimes on or near campus properties, Emergency Notifications, and Community Advisories.  All WarnMe notifications are sent to all “” email addresses. 
  • UCPD also utilizes the WarnME notification system for active threats (read more about WarnME in the Emergency preparedness section below).
  • Log into to set your notification settings to SMS/text or email


Reporting Emergencies and Non-emergencies

  • To report an emergency on or off campus: call 911 from any campus telephone.
  • From cell phones, to report on-campus emergencies: call (510) 642-3333.
  • For non-emergency assistance: call (510) 642-6760.

Emergency Preparedness

The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) has information on how to prepare for earthquakes, fires, and other major emergencies. OEM has created a free emergency preparedness mobile app that contains Berkeley-specific tips and guidance for a wide range of emergencies. Please visit the OEM website for download instructions and to access further information on campus emergency procedures, including a list of supplies to keep on hand.

If you are a Graduate Student Instructor, learn where to direct your class if you need to evacuate by reviewing evacuation maps in each campus building.

To get additional information during a major campus emergency, call 1-800-705-9998, or log onto the campus’s main web page.If the main Berkeley page is down, use the emergency website, or listen to the campus radio station (KALX 90.7 FM).

Parking and Transportation

Berkeley is a busy urban campus, and parking near campus can be limited. Parking can usually be found in the Underhill Parking Facility on College Av. between Channing and Haste Sts. , Clark Kerr Campus on Piedmont Av., or at Foothill Lot (behind the Greek Theater). Berkeley is well-served by public transit, and many students prefer to walk or bike to campus. For more detailed information, see the Transportation Handbook or the Parking and Transportation website.

Parking and Transportation Program Overview

  • Bear Transit provides free shuttles (Daytime service 5 days a week, 7am-7pm; Evening service 7pm-3am, 7 days a week) for getting around while on our large sprawling campus, just show your Cal 1 Card for unlimited access.
  • AC Transit Student EasyPass Clipper Card is separate from the Cal 1 Card, entitles you to free unlimited transit on AC Transit buses (including Premium Express Transbay service to San Francisco). (Your initial AC Transit EasyPass Clipper card will be issued by the Cal 1 Card office
  • BART: Students also have access to the Bay Area Regional Transit (BART) system through their Clipper Card which they can use to load fares onto – there are no discounts on BART. The Downtown Berkeley stop is one block from the west side of campus. BART is a great way to get around the Bay Area including multiple airports.
  • Night Safety ServicesStudents can use the free Night Safety Shuttle or Bear Walk for door to door services if you’re in need of safe transit options at night! 
  • Parking PermitsStudent Parking Permits can be purchased online, either by the day, the month, or by the semester. Visit the student permit webpage for information.
  • The Loop is a golf cart that provides intra-campus rides for eligible faculty, staff, and students with disabilities on a first-come-first-served basis.
  • Bicycle Commuting: Bicycles are allowed on most paths and roads on campus, with the exception of areas where riders must dismount and walk due to heavy pedestrian traffic.