Doctoral funding packages

UC Berkeley is committed to recruiting doctoral students of outstanding achievement and potential, including those who will enhance the diversity of the graduate student population at Berkeley.

Applicants are considered for funding packages and financial support by the departmental admissions committee; a separate fellowship application is not required. Packages ​may ​be made up of funding from various sources, such as university or departmental fellowships, and Academic Student Employment (Graduate Student Instructor, Reader, Tutor) and/or Graduate Student Researcher appointments​, as determined by your department​.

Newly admitted doctoral students will first receive an Offer of Admission letter, and then Financial Support and Employment Funding Letter outlining the funding package from the department. Our goal is to ensure that all newly admitted doctoral students receive funding that will provide the financial stability to do their best work.

Financial Support and Employment Funding Offers can include:

Prestigious awards for highly qualified entering doctoral students, including: 

  • Berkeley Fellowships
  • Chancellor’s Fellowships for applicants who will enhance the diversity of the graduate student population at Berkeley

Academic and/or Research Employment

Most funding packages for doctoral students include semesters of academic student employment. Academic Student Employees (ASEs) and Graduate Student Researchers (GSRs) are among the highest paid in public higher education and receive competitive benefit packages.

Read about the benefits of academic employment, including compensation, tuition/fee remission, health care, child care and more. 

Policies and Requirements 

  • See your Financial Support and Employment Funding Letter, for your funding details. Slate portal link?. These letters will be distributed after your Offer of Admission. 
  • Contact the graduate advisor for any questions about your letter. 
  • When needed, nonresident supplemental tuition is typically paid for U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and non AB-540 undocumented students with DACA only in the first year of study.
  • For international students, nonresident supplemental tuition is typically covered for additional years.
  • Departmental funding packages include expiration rules and standards for when particular forms of funding are expected to be used.
  • Non- Employment Student Financial Support” (also referred to as “Student Financial Support”) is funding, including financial aid awards, to pursue a course of study, with no or de minimis service expectation imposed by the University, and whose receipt of these funds does not require the performance of service at the direction and control of the University.
  • All funding support is based on continued satisfactory academic progress and good standing.

To be considered, you must submit your Graduate Application for admission by the departmental deadline.

Continuing students may also apply for financial support from the Graduate Division, including: