two students standing and talking; one is holding a box

Seeking financial aid

Learn how filing a FAFSA can help finance your graduate education

Student loans can provide one piece of the puzzle to financing your graduate education, depending on whether you’ve received a graduate fellowships, grants, or academic student employment upon your offer of admission. To understand the total costs of attendance associated with your program, visit our financial aid office’s Total Cost of Attendance webpage.

Graduate students can consult with our Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and then apply for need-based loans and work-study. Financial aid programs are based on demonstrated financial need and require completion of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Student Loans & Other Federal Student Aid

To apply for a federal student loan, you must first complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, available on the FAFSA website. The UC Berkeley FAFSA school code is 001312.

Things to Keep In Mind

  • Submit your FAFSA by the priority deadline to ensure timely processing and the best financial aid package.
  • File the FAFSA even if you are not sure you will need or want any aid from the FASO. You can decide later whether to accept aid for which you are eligible.
  • If you miss the priority deadline, submit your FAFSA as soon as possible. You will still be entitled to your full federal Direct Loan eligibility, but other campus-based funds (Work-Study, Perkins, and Parent Grant) may be depleted.
  • Only U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents may apply for funds administered by the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office. 

Consult the Graduate Award Guide on the FASO website for more information, or submit your inquiry online.

Read the Graduate Award Guide