Student parents make up about 10% of Berkeley’s graduate population.
Berkeley is committed to supporting policies, programs, and services to help them meet their family care obligations while they pursue their academic goals.

The Graduate Council of the Academic Senate has approved academic accommodation policies designed to be supportive of doctoral students expecting to give birth and of all graduate students with substantial parenting responsibilities. See the Guide to Graduate Policy for more information about these policies. Programs that implement these policies are described below.

Graduate Student Parent Grant

Registered graduate student parents (single, married, or registered domestic partners) who live with dependent children and demonstrate financial need are eligible to apply for a Parent Grant of up to $4,000 per academic term ($8,000 per academic year). Apply by July 9, 2014.  Submit the completed Parent Grant Application (PDF) to the Fellowships Office in 318 Sproul Hall.

Childbirth Accommodation Funding for Women Doctoral Students

Women doctoral students in good academic standing who hold a fellowship, a Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) position, or Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) appointment, and who expect to give birth during the semester will be excused from regular duties for a period of six weeks without loss of financial support. On request, funding may be provided to cover the student’s support or a replacement, depending on the circumstances. The student’s academic unit must submit the completed Petition for Childbirth Accommodation Funding for Women Doctoral Students (PDF) to the Graduate Services Office, 318 Sproul Hall #5900, at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the leave.

Back-Up Child Care for Student Parents

Currently registered UC Berkeley student parents are eligible for highly subsidized in-home or center-based back-up child care for their children. To apply visit the Back-Up Child Care website.

Early Childhood Education Program

UC Berkeley’s Early Childhood Education Program provides quality early childhood services to more than 200 infants, toddlers, and preschool children of students, faculty, and staff at five centers in Berkeley and Albany. For more information about eligibility and to apply, visit the ECEP website.

Child Care Reimbursement Program for GSIs, Readers, and Tutors

Reimbursement for child care expenses, up to specified limits, is available to eligible Academic Student Employees (ASEs). For more information, visit the Reimbursement Program section of the UC Berkeley Human Resources website.

Child Care Reimbursement for GSRs

 Graduate Student Researchers with preschool dependent children are eligible for reimbursement of child care expenses, up to $900 per semester and $600 per summer.  GSRs must have at least a 25% appointment during the semester or summer session. Reimbursement requests should be submitted no later than the first day of the semester following the term for which the claim is filed.GSR Childcare Form (PDF) and receipts to Graduate Services in 318 Sproul Hall.

Family and Childbearing Leaves for Academic Student Employees (GSIs, Readers, Tutors)

Academic Student Employees (ASEs) are eligible for certain types of leave. Policies are governed by the UAW contract. For specific information, review the Leaves section of the current UAW contract.

Additional Resources for Student Parents

Families Matter: A Resource Guide for Graduate Student Parents (PDF)

Student Family Housing at University Village

Berkeley Parents Network (A parent-to-parent email network for the community of parents in the Berkeley area)

Graduate and Professional Student Financial Aid

Resource: A Guide for New Berkeley Students

Transfer, Re-entry, and Student Parent Center

University Health Services (Health insurance information for dependents of students)