We’ve detailed what you need to know, with both policies and procedures, about progressing through a doctoral and master’s program at UC Berkeley, including pre-candidacy, advancing to candidacy, and dissertation or thesis writing and filing.

Our degrees staff work with departments to track your progress from registration to graduation. After speaking with staff in your department, you can consult with our staff about Qualifying Exams, advancement to candidacy, filing fees, probation, and re-enrollment.

If you are a Graduate Student Affairs Officer and have questions about any of the particulars detailed in these pages, please reach out to the Academic Progress Advisor for your program.