This grant, supported by the PPG Foundation, intends to aid STEM*FYI graduate students in need of financial support due to COVID-19-related events. It aligns with the mission of the UC Berkeley Student Emergency Fund as a means of direct, immediate support to graduate STEM students experiencing unforeseen difficulties as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. We strongly encourage graduate STEM students from non-dominant communities and backgrounds to apply.
- Maximum support: $500
- Funding to be disbursed via stipend payment
- Disbursement of funds is contingent upon sustained and active engagement with STEM*FYI (attend/share monthly events, subscribe to listserv, follow/share social media, etc.)
- Proposal – Applicants apply for the grant through a Google Form that includes a short, 350 word proposal. Proposals should describe the need for the funds due to the present pandemic, such as fewer resources to cover personal/academic expenses, job loss, relocation, housing/childcare/food expenses, and other basic needs.
- Budget – The Google Form also includes a section for a brief, itemized budget to accompany the proposal. The budget should include any additional support the applicant has, or is seeking to secure. Failure to clearly articulate the need for funding may result in proposal rejection after review.
- Supporting Documentation – The Google Form includes the possibility of adding further documentation to articulate the applicant’s need for the funds beyond the proposal alone.
- Submission – Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis ($500 maximum per request, maximum one funded submission per applicant per year).