Graduate Professional Development Center (309 Sproul Hall)
The Graduate Professional Development Center (GPD Center) in 309 Sproul Hall is a space dedicated to professional development programming for graduate students and the faculty and staff who advise them.
The room has a maximum occupancy of 73 persons, and is furnished with 73 moveable chairs and 20 moveable tables. Two walls in the room have writeable/erasable finish and can be used as dry-erase boards.
Please note that room users are responsible for their own setup, cleanup, and managing any A/V needs during their event.
The GPD Center is fully equipped with a projector, speakers, and a DVD/CD player. Laptops can be connected to the projector and speakers using the HDMI or VGA cables provided. Other available resources include audio/video recording, live-streaming, document camera, lapel microphones, hand-held microphones, and assisted listening devices. Room users are welcome to use this equipment, but are responsible for managing any A/V needs during their event. Please contact email@example.com to schedule an orientation to the A/V equipment in advance, if needed.
Wireless internet in the room is provided through AirBears. Guests to UC Berkeley can access the open wireless network, CalVisitor, for internet access from any wifi-enabled device.
Room Reservation Procedures
Campus units and student groups can reserve the GPD Center for graduate professional development events and workshops. Requests for use of the GPD Center must indicate how the event or workshop will contribute to graduate student professional development.
The procedure for reserving the GPD Center is as follows:
- Check the availability of the room on bCal (“Sproul-CR-309”). (If you cannot access the calendar, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.) The room can be reserved for meetings Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with start times no later than 4:30 p.m. Use of the room between noon and 1 p.m. is not recommended given the high noise level on Sproul Plaza during the lunch hour.
- Request a specific date and time using this Reservation Request Form. Please allow one week to process your request. Reservation requests may only be submitted for the current semester.
- If your request is approved, you will receive an invite from bCal; please use this invite to verify that 309 Sproul Hall has been reserved for the correct day and time.
- On the day of the event, please visit the Professional Development Resource Coordinator (PDRC) in 307 Sproul Hall (or 301 Sproul Hall, if the PDRC is unavailable) to be let into the room. Please notify the PDRC when your event is over so that we can lock the room.
- Please review the check-out reminders posted in the room before leaving. Room users are responsible for ensuring that the room is ready for the next user. Tables and chairs must be returned to the original configuration if moved.
Room Use Guidelines
Users of the GPD Center agree to the following terms:
- Users must abide by the Rules of Conduct in Campus Buildings.
- Room capacity of 73 (including speakers) may not be exceeded.
- Only dry-erase markers and erasers may be used on the two surfaces with writable/erasable finish. Markers and eraser are inside the podium. Please be sure not to write on the untreated walls. Walls must be erased at end of the event.
- Chairs and tables must be returned to their original configuration (rows of 4 on the window side; rows of 3 or 4, depending on space, on the door side of room).
- Projector must be turned off.
- Carpet and window treatments must not be stained or damaged.
- Chairs and tables must be free of stains and left undamaged. Sitting on the tables is prohibited.
- Room must be left free of debris (receptacles for trash and recycling are in hallway; all event materials must be removed).
- Podium must be left undamaged and returned to its original location in the corner next to the front (northwest) window.
- Doors must be locked after the room has been vacated. Please be sure to notify the PDRC in 307 Sproul when your event is over, so that we can lock the room.
- Please review the check-out sheet posted in the room at the end of the event, to ensure that you are leaving the room in the proper order.
- The user assumes responsibility for the safety and security of participants.
- University policies and procedures governing the serving of alcohol must be followed.
- Food is allowed but please do not leave behind any crumbs, spills, etc.
- Should any damages occur to the room, furniture, or equipment, or should the room need a special cleaning as a result of a unit’s use of the room, any costs incurred to bring the room back to its original state will be charged to the user.
Questions about the room or reservations should be directed to the Professional Development Resource Coordinator at email@example.com or 510-643-3106.