The start of the semester always presents a dizzying array of opportunities. How do you figure out where to begin with all of these resources? The Passport to Professional Development is a brand new initiative designed to help you take advantage of the many professional development opportunities on campus with an eye to addressing a broad range of competencies. After attending an advertised event, get a sticker on your “passport.” Once you have six stickers on your passport, visit GradPro by December 20th to claim your prize!
How does the Passport work?
- Get a passport card from GradPro, your GSAO, or one of our partners. Register your passport here.
- Attend one event or workshop that fulfills each of the six Professional Development Competencies (Writing & Communication, Teaching & Mentoring, Research & Data Analysis, Leadership & Management, Career Exploration & Preparation, Professionalism).
- Get a sticker on your passport for each event. (Stickers will be available at most events offered by us or one of our partners – just ask. Don’t see any stickers, or forgot to get one? See us at GradPro!)
- Once you have filled your passport with six stickers, schedule a consultation with GradPro and claim a prize! (Fall deadline: December 20, 2019.)
Why should I participate?
- The Passport to Professional Development will help you to familiarize yourself with the plethora of professional development opportunities on campus and understand how each resource contributes to skill development in particular areas.
- Not only will you boost your skills by attending events and workshops, you will also receive prizes for filling up the passport! This fall, prizes include a Contigo travel mug (for all who complete the Passport) and a Peet’s gift card (first 10 participants who cross the finish line).
- Upon completion of the passport (six stickers), GradPro will help you craft an individual plan for the next stage of your professional development.
How do I find Passport events?
- Check the Professional Development Calendar.
- Subscribe to the Professional Development Digest to receive bi-weekly updates about relevant events happening on campus.
Who can participate in the Passport to Professional Development?
All current Berkeley graduate students are invited to participate. If you have questions about your eligibility, please send us an email at email@example.com.
I want to attend a professional development event but I don’t see it on the calendar or in the Digest. Will it count towards the passport?
If you’re not sure if an event counts towards the passport, just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I attended an online webinar. Does this count?
Online events count towards the passport as long as they are advertised on our calendar or in the digest. Come tell us about the event at GradPro (307 Sproul) to get your sticker. You can make an appointment here or drop by between 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
I attended an advertised event but forgot to get a sticker/there weren’t any stickers available/I lost my sticker. What do I do?
Come tell us about the event at GradPro (307 Sproul) to get your sticker.
I don’t see any events listed for one of the competencies/ I’m not able to attend any of the events for one of the competencies. What should I do?
If you can’t find an event that fulfills one of the competencies, you can instead do one of the activities listed for that competency in the Professional Development Guide. Come tell us about it at GradPro (307 Sproul) to get your sticker.
More questions? Email us at email@example.com.
About the Author: Sarah Christofides is a Professional Development Liaison in the Graduate Division and a Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of French.