photo of stressed out studentCounseling and Psychological Services (CPS) provides a variety of services for students to help with personal, academic, career, and crisis concerns. Access to CPS counseling services are free to all registered UC Berkeley students. Professional counselors are available at the Tang Center, as well as at several satellite offices. For graduate students who do not want to run into the undergraduates they teach, satellite offices might best serve your needs.

Office Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday
Crisis Counseling Drop in Hours: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday
After Hours Assistance Line: (855) 817-5667
University Health Services, Tang Center, 3rd Floor, 2222 Bancroft Way (510) 642-9494

Individual and Couples

  • Brief counseling (up to 8 visits) with first 5 free of charge
  • To get started in counseling or to determine whether counseling is right for you, call (510) 642-9494 or stop by the Tang Center.
  • Brief counseling is not right for everyone. CPS will help you find a referral in the community that will work with your health insurance plan
  • Psychiatric medication can be helpful for some emotional difficulties. Students can get referrals to a psychiatrist from a CPS counselor or from their primary care provider


  • CPS offers group counseling specific to graduate student needs
  • Skills groups for managing stress, anxiety, and depression
  • Support groups for both graduate women and men


  • For urgent concerns, emergency crisis counseling is available at the Tang Center on a drop-in basis
  • For urgent concerns after hours or during weekends, call the after-hours assistance line (855) 817-5667 to speak to a counselor


If you are unsure how to help a friend or an undergraduate you teach, phone consultations are available at CPS to help support and guide you.

Self-Help Resources

  • Anonymous Screenings for Mental Health
  • Dealing with Stress in Graduate School
  • Information on Depression and what to do if you or others are depressed (includes “Just in Case” phone app)
  • Guide to helping a distressed undergraduate student
  • On-line training: Depression Awareness and Suicide Prevention

Satellite Offices

  • Boalt Law School – 362 Boalt Hall
  • Bowditch Annex – 2311 Bowditch Street
  • College of Engineering – 241 Bechtel Hall
  • College of Environmental Design – 220 Wurster Hall
  • Disabled Students Program – 487 Evans Hall
  • Haas School of Business – Room F408
  • International House – 2299 Piedmont Ave, Room 315
  • Incentive Awards Program – Room 337, 2610 Channing
  • Residential Life – Room 333, 2610 Channing Way

(call (510) 642-9494 for more information and counselor availability)