Prospective Students  |  New Students  |  Current Students  |  International Students  |  Faculty & Staff  |  Alumni & Friends

D1.3 Registration Fees

Updated: July 17th, 2013

All registered graduate students are liable for fees and nonresident tuition, if applicable. The Office of the Registrar will cancel a student’s registration by the end of the eighth week of classes if there are no course enrollments or if fees have not been paid, either by the student or by some form of financial assistance.

For up-to-date information on fees, consult the Registrar’s website ( This site also provides fee information for all programs which require additional Professional Degree Fees. Students seeking self-supporting degrees should consult the specific program’s website for current fees for those programs.

Fee payment. For full information concerning fee payment, including deadlines, billing, late payment, deferred payments, refunds, and the requirement that all students must be covered by major medical health insurance, see the Registrar Office’s website (

In absentia registration
In absentia is a form of registration available to academic and professional graduate students undertaking coursework or research related to their degree programs outside of California. Students registered in absentia are assessed full health insurance fees, and 15 percent of the combined University Tuition and Student Services Fees. If applicable, students are also assessed the full non-resident tuition and/or professional school fees.

Please contact Graduate Degrees with any questions: 642-7330 or Law students should contact the School of Law.

Eligibility Criteria. The student must be enrolled full-time in regular UC units. Students in self-supporting programs or exchange programs are not eligible for in absentia registration.

Research or coursework

  • Must be of a nature that makes it necessary to be completed outside of California for at least one full academic term.
  • Must be directly related to the student’s degree program as evidenced by faculty approval.
  • Must involve only indirect supervision appropriate to evaluating the student’s academic progress and performance from UC faculty during the in absentia period.
  • Must involve no significant studying or in-person collaboration with UC faculty during the in absentia period.

Doctoral students:


  • Must be advanced to candidacy by the time in absentia begins.
  • May only use in absentia registration for a maximum of four semesters.

Master’s and graduate professional (e.g., O.D., J.S.D., JD) students:


  • Must have completed at least one year of coursework by the time in absentia begins.
  • May only use in absentia for a maximum of two semesters.

Students may hold University fellowships and GSR appointments, but may not hold GSI, Reader, or Tutor appointments during the in absentia period.

International Students planning on registering in absentia. Those students in F and J status who plan to be outside California but still within the U.S. or to go in and out of the U.S. must register in absentia and also inform the Berkeley International Office (2299 Piedmont Avenue, 642-2818) of their plans.

Reduced Nonresident Tuition. Doctoral students who have been advanced to candidacy for the doctorate receive a 100 percent reduction in the annual nonresident tuition for a maximum of three calendar years (calculated from the semester after which they advanced), whether registered or not. Any nonresident student who enrolls after the three-year calendar period will be charged the full nonresident tuition rate in effect at that time.

To qualify for this reduction, the application for doctoral advancement must be received in the Graduate Services Degrees Unit by the first day of instruction of the semester for which the reduced tuition is assessed. Students who plan to file the application on the deadline day should be prepared to pay at least 20 percent of their assessed fees by the first fee payment deadline. For the reduced fee to be reflected on the CARS billing statement, however, students should apply for advancement at least 6-8 weeks before the beginning of the semester to allow sufficient processing time. For further information, see Chapter Lof this guide.

Summer Sessions fees. By University policy, summer course unit fees are based on the fee charged in the subsequent academic year. Besides fees per unit, other fees may apply and are subject to change. For current fees and registration information, check the Summer Sessions website (

See All Topics in the Category: D. Registration and Exchange Programs, Guide to Graduate Policy