1. Fellowship Stipend Payments and EFT

Students may have their fellowship stipends deposited directly into their bank accounts by signing up for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT); EFT activates within 7 business days. Students not signed up for EFT will have their fellowship stipends paid by paper check. If a student has an email address in Bear Facts, an email will be sent to the student when the fellowship stipend has been paid. Paper checks must be picked up at Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall.

Students receiving Fall fellowship stipends from the Graduate Division may expect payment by August 25, 2014. Stipend awards will not be sent to CARS, however, until recipients are registered.


➢ Paper checks not picked up within 10 days will be mailed to the local address on file in Bear Facts, or otherwise cancelled. Reissuance of a check takes approximately three weeks.

➢ Students should keep contact information current in Bear Facts to avoid problems with returned mail due to an outdated address.

➢ If a student’s CARS account is past due or their registration is blocked, no payment will be issued until the matter is resolved.

2. Registration

To be considered registered, a student must have enrolled in at least one class and cleared any registration blocks; the first installment of the student’s tuition and fees must have been paid. Graduate students not yet advanced to doctoral candidacy must enroll in 12 units. Students with fellowships or academic appointments jeopardize their awards or employment if they fail to comply with this rule.

3. International Students and GLACIER

International students who will be receiving stipend awards, must complete a GLACIER record for tax purposes. The student’s academic department needs to initiate this process online.

4. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and Social Security Numbers (SSN)

International students with F-1 visas who do not already have a SSN are required to apply for an ITIN in order to complete the GLACIER process and obtain their award payment. See the Berkeley International Office for the latest ITIN information, including at ITIN Drop Off Events.

International students with J-1 visas are eligible to apply for a SSN after they complete the Berkeley International Office On-Campus Employment/Fellowship Authorization form.

Contacting the Fellowships Office

As you may already know, each department/program has a primary Graduate Financial Aid Officer (GFAO) contact within our office. Please feel free to phone or email them directly and send Fellowships mail to their attention. Each GFAO has responsibility for certain major fellowship programs.

The GFAOs can be reached as follows:

  • Gina Farales Blanco for Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS), Fulbright U.S. Student Program, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
    (510) 642-7739, [email protected].
  • Michael Sacramento for National Science Foundation (NSF), Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship, UC MEXUS-CONACYT, Hertz Foundation Fellowships, and DAAD awards for study in Germany.
    (510) 642-7739, [email protected].
  • Solomon Lefler for Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA), Jacob K. Javits Fellowship, Parent Grant, and U.C. Dissertation/Mentored Research Award. (510) 643-7477, [email protected].