Dear Graduate Student Community,

This message is to inform you about financial resources available from the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) and campus relief funds to assist eligible students with additional expenses experienced during this period of social distancing and online learning. The request for action deadline is Monday, April 19. Please read below for more information on who is eligible and what is required.

CRRSAA Funding Eligibility

UC Berkeley has received $15 million in direct-to-student funding, $4 million of which will be awarded to eligible graduate students. There is no degree program restriction, so students in doctoral, master’s, professional, and online degree programs are eligible (but not guaranteed) to receive funds.

Action Required

  • Dream Act Funding:
    Students who are eligible for financial aid under the California Dream Act must file a 2020-21 California Dream Act Application (CADAA)
    . The campus is committed to providing students eligible for financial aid under the California Dream Act with equivalent funding from the Student Emergency Fund.

The deadline to file a FAFSA or a CADAA for funding consideration is Monday, April 19. Filing an aid application does not obligate students to take out loans — it is simply the most expedient way for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to verify federal/state aid eligibility.

Even though CRRSAA and Dream Act funding is limited and not guaranteed, we encourage all eligible graduate students to apply.

Note: You may be required to submit additional documentation to verify Title IV eligibility.

Alternate Resources

If you do not meet the eligibility requirements to file for financial aid through the FAFSA or CADAA, you can still apply for assistance through the Basic Needs Holistic Support Fund. Students may also apply for an interest-free Short-Term Emergency Loan from UC Berkeley until May 14, 2021.

When to Expect Funding

We anticipate awarding to begin the last two weeks of April for eligible students. We encourage students to monitor their communications and their awards in CalCentral for updates.


If you have any questions about whether or how you should file an aid application to receive this funding, please contact Cal Student Central. We have also added a Frequently Asked Questions section below.