GradPro for Students
“This is a valuable and helpful resource – thank you so much! I finally felt supported as a person (not just a part of a research project).”
Sign up for office hours with Linda Louie, Ph.D., Professional Development Resource Coordinator. Some topics we can discuss:
- For early- and mid-career grad students: Referrals to resources for skill-building in competencies like research, writing, and leadership; strategies for time management, goal-setting, note-taking, and organization; building a professional network during grad school; creating an “individual development plan” for your time in grad school;
- For advanced grad students: Referrals to resources for dissertation-writing, career exploration, and job applications; strategies for juggling multiple projects and priorities in your final years of grad school; creating an “individual development plan” for the end of grad school and the beginning of your next stage.
Meet monthly with a small group of other grad students from across the university. Meetings are facilitated, supportive, and informal. Each group member describes the progress they have made since the previous meeting, as well as any challenges they’ve encountered; then, the group as a whole offers support and advice.
“I really appreciated this concrete, individualized work time. Also the opportunity to realize that other grad students share similar concerns about developing skills in this area – that solidarity was really helpful. Thank you so much for this workshop!”
Fall 2018 Workshops
Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 12-1:30 p.m., 309 Sproul Hall
Templates, advice, and peer support for building a week-by-week plan.
Monday, September 10, 2018, 2-3:30 p.m., 309 Sproul Hall
Hear successful grad students talk about how they manage their time.
Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 10-11:30 a.m., 309 Sproul Hall
Learn how to build skills in teaching, research, leadership, and more.
Thursday, October 11, 2018, 2-3:30 p.m., 309 Sproul Hall
In this hands-on workshop, learn techniques for presenting confidently.
Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 12-1:30 p.m., 309 Sproul Hall
Build a long-term plan for your academic and career development.
Thursday, November 8, 2018, 3-4:30 p.m., 309 Sproul Hall
Grad students and professors on how they communicate research to the public.
Graduate Student Professional Development Guide
This online resource, created especially for Berkeley graduate students, describes concrete steps you can take to develop your skills in six core competencies:
- Teaching & Mentoring
- Writing & Communication
- Research & Data Analysis
- Career Exploration & Preparation
- Leadership & Management
Online Professional Development Resources
Berkeley has institutional memberships to a number of valuable online resources. Create your free account and start using them today!
- Lynda Online Learning Platform: Courses and online videos covering software, technology, business, and creative skills.
- UC BerkeleyX: Online Berkeley courses in a variety of subjects.
- ImaginePhD: A free, online career exploration and planning tool for Ph.D. students and postdoctoral scholars in humanities and social sciences.
- VersatilePhD: Non-academic career resources for Humanities, Social Sciences, and STEM Ph.D. students (sample resumes and cover letters, panel discussions, job postings).
- MyIDP: A free, online career exploration and planning tool to help Ph.D. students and postdoctoral scholars in the sciences develop an individual development plan (IDP).
- National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity: Online webinars, writing challenges, and motivational tools.
Graduate Division Professional Development Programs
GradPro is part of Berkeley’s Graduate Division, which also offers innovative professional development programs including:
GradPro Campus Partners
Beyond the Graduate Division, GradPro’s many excellent campus partners include:
Our comprehensive Graduate Professional Development Calendar and biweekly Professional Development Digest cover events and opportunities from all of these programs, so you can find them all in one place.