20 June – 3 August 2018
For summer 2018, the American Research Institute in Turkey will offer approximately 12 fellowships for advanced students for participation in the summer program in intensive advanced Turkish language at Boğaziçi University* in Istanbul. This intensive program offers the equivalent of one full academic year of study in Turkish at the college level. The fellowships cover round-trip airfare to Istanbul, application and tuition fees, and a maintenance stipend.
Participation in the program includes six hours of preparation prior to departure for Turkey, most of which will be online orientation activities, followed by ten hours of orientation upon arrival in Istanbul.
COURSE OF STUDY
ARIT fellowship-supported courses are offered at the advanced level. Class size is limited to ten students. Each class meets twenty hours per week. Classes are held on weekdays from 9 am to 1 pm. They are conducted in Turkish, with informal and formal styles introduced and reviewed through instruction, language laboratory work, and open conversations with teaching assistants. In the afternoon, students meet with teaching assistants on an informal basis for additional instruction and free conversation. Participants also attend extracurricular activities including films, lectures, and cultural events both on- and off-campus.
Full-time students and scholars affiliated at academic institutions are eligible to apply. To be a fellowship applicant, you must:
- Be a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the United States
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate level academic program, or be faculty
- Have a minimum B average in current program of study
- Perform at the high-intermediate level on a proficiency-based admissions examination
Transcripts and letters may be submitted separately, either electronically or by mail to the address below.
The application includes:
- Application form including your statement of purpose
- Three letters of reference, including one that addresses your abilities as a language learner
- Official transcript
- Application fee in the amount of $25 via Paypal.
The application deadline is February 6, 2018.
You also may request information by contacting:
Director, Dr. Sylvia Önder
Division of Eastern Mediterranean Languages
Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies
210 North Poulton Hall
1437 37th Street N.W.
Washington D.C. 20007