If you have been offered graduate admission to UC Berkeley, you must complete a few important steps before you will be eligible to enroll in classes.

Let Us Know You’re Coming

Congratulations on your admission! The next step for you is to accept our offer and reserve your place. Be advised that completing your Statement of Intent to Register is the official acceptance of admission, allowing you to enroll in classes and register. Notifying your program alone is not sufficient. Even if you decide not to attend, we would appreciate a response. We are eager to learn of your decision and hope to welcome you in Berkeley soon.

Please log into the UC Berkeley’s online student portal CalCentral using your CalNet ID and passphrase to accept or decline our offer of admission. If you don’t remember your CalNet ID or passphrase, please contact the Cal 1 Card Office.

Prepare to Enroll

If you accept our offer of admission, you will be directed to the Onboarding process for graduate students.

Onboarding is a communication tool in CalCentral that provides important information for newly admitted graduate and professional students to orient them to campus and take the necessary steps to prepare for their arrival. Please review the onboarding messages and checklist items under “Tasks” on My Dashboard that you need to complete in order to register.

Submit the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR)

This form is required of all new students and enables the Office of the Registrar to determine the fees you will be assessed; it must be submitted by June 1st to ensure the correct assessment of your fees. Use your CalNet ID and pass-phrase to access the CalCentral site. The link to the Statement of Legal Residence can be found under “Tasks” on My Dashboard. Questions regarding the completion of the SLR form should be addressed to the Residency Office.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

U.S. citizens and permanent residents are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Submit the Non-Immigrant Information Form (NIF) for International Students

The Berkeley International Office (BIO) is responsible for issuing visa documents for international students who will study at UC Berkeley with F-1 or J-1 student visas.

If you are coming to UC Berkeley as a F-1 or J-1 student, use the online NIF, which you can find under “Tasks” on My Dashboard, to request the I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) documents you will need to apply for a visa.

If you are currently NOT a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (“green card” holder), complete the first page of the online NIF to notify Berkeley International Office of your status.

Due to processing and embassy wait times, submit your NIF as soon as possible.  If you are unable to access the online NIF, contact the Berkeley International Office. Their website also contains useful information about obtaining the visa, orientations, and life at UC Berkeley as an international student.