Beyond Academia, a grad student and postdoc group promoting education about non-tenure track careers, is hosting an open house on November 17, noon–1:30 pm. Come join your peers to learn more about what Beyond Academia does and how it might help you with your next steps. Pizza and drinks will be served, so remember to RSVP by November 15.
What is Beyond Academia?
Beyond Academia is a group of UC Berkeley graduate students and postdocs, whose goal is to educate PhDs in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and STEM fields about non-academic career paths. BA organizes small professional development events, as well as an annual 2-day conference where we bring together over 400 attendees and 100+ PhDs who made the transition successfully.
Become a BA member!
Interested in broadening your career horizons, building your resumé, and expanding your network? Take an active role in organizing professional development events on campus and get experience working with a fun, interdisciplinary team of postdocs and graduate students. Beyond Academia alumni have successfully transitioned to careers in industry, consulting, writing and media, policy, entrepreneurship, and many other fields!
BA is interested in filling the following positions:
- Media Coordinator — Plan and execute advertising campaigns for our events; manage our social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter).
- Webmaster (2) — Assist in designing and managing our websites.
- Writer / Editor (2) — Write career development blog posts for our website: short interviews with PhDs who have transitioned to non-academic jobs, and other content or resources useful for PhD students and postdocs interested in non-tenure track career paths.
- Campus Relations Specialist (1-2) — Manage relationships with campus partners and advisors. Membership in campus organizations and on campus committees is a plus but not required.
- Development Analyst (1-2) — Survey team and event attendees to identify areas for future work.
- Careers Reception Organizer (3) — Liaison between Beyond Academia and companies, network with recruiters and manage logistics of the event.
Email Beyond Academia a brief bio and a short personal statement describing your interest and relevant experience or skills. Include your position (graduate student or postdoc) and affiliation. Send your statement by November 15, 2017.