Graduate Professional Development Can Help You Record Your Video!
Do you want to compete in the Fourth Annual UC systemwide Grad Slam? Then it’s time to start thinking about recording the three-minute “elevator pitch” for your original research. You could win prizes ranging from $100 to $3,000! The deadline to submit your video is coming right up: Monday, February 19 (11:59 pm Pacific Time).
Still have some questions about the competition? Find out more at an info session:
- Humanities and Social Sciences Info Session: Thursday, January 18, 1 – 2 pm, 309 Sproul Hall
- General Info Session (all disciplines): Monday, January 29, 4 – 5 pm, 309 Sproul Hall
Entering Grad Slam is Simple
- Read the detailed rules, instructions, and information on the Grad Slam 2018 website.
- Craft a three-minute “elevator pitch” for your original research. The pitch should be clear, organized, and well-delivered (see all judging criteria on the website).
- Make a video recording of your pitch. You won’t be judged on your skills as a videographer! As long as the judges can see and hear you, that is sufficient.
- Submit your video by Monday, February 19 (11:59 pm Pacific Time).
Get Help Recording your Video
Graduate Professional Development (GPD) will hold free recording sessions in 309 Sproul Hall the week of February 12. GPD will manage the technical aspects of filming, leaving you free to practice your delivery. Contact email@example.com to reserve a session.
You can also record the video yourself, or have a friend record it for you.
What’s Next? Live Competitions!
- Campus competition, Wednesday, April 4, 2018, 3 – 5:15 pm: Ten semi-finalists will be selected from the video submissions to participate in a live campus competition. All the semi-finalists will receive $100, and three finalists will win cash prizes of up to $3,000!
- Systemwide competition, Thursday, May 3, 2018: The winner of the campus competition will represent Berkeley at the UC system-wide competition at the LinkedIn headquarters in San Francisco and will have a chance to win even bigger cash prizes, as well as garner statewide media attention!