The Chateaubriand Fellowship in Humanities and Social Sciences is offered by the Cultural Services of the Embassy of France. The HSS program targets outstanding Ph.D. students enrolled in American universities who seek to engage in research in France, in any discipline of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
The HSS Chateaubriand program is supported by the Campus France agency which provides a welcome package and assistance to fellows upon their arrival. Social networking opportunities are offered by the Fulbright program in France.
- Candidates must be currently working on their Ph.D.
- Candidates do not have to be U.S. citizens, but they must be enrolled in an American university.
- Candidates must obtain a letter of recommendation from their advisor(s) in the U.S. as well as a letter of invitation from a professor affiliated with a French university or research institution. Please contact your supervisor in France as early as possible.
- A monthly stipend
- Health insurance for the entire duration of the fellowship
- Round-trip airfare to France
- Academic relevance of the research project
- Student’s command of the subject
- Benefits of a research trip to France for the future of the collaboration
- Background of the research collaboration
- Contribution of the project to France/U.S. academic exchange
Application materials are due on January 8, 2019. For more information, visit the Chateaubriand Fellowship website.