Important SHIP summer break reminders
- Schedule needed medical/GYN appointments and refill prescriptions before eligibility ends
- If you are graduating or leaving the university this semester, eligibility to use SHIP ends August 14, 2011
- Urgent Care closes at 4:30pm during the summer. See all hours on the UHS website.
- Did yougraduate this past May? Check out “insurance after graduation” resources on the UHS website.
UC Berkeley joins new UC SHIP for 2011-12
University Health Services/Tang Center is proud to announce our participation in the new 2011-12 University of California Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP), a system-wide insurance plan covering more than 130,000 University of California students. This new plan enhances the already outstanding student health benefits offered at Cal by reducing out-of-pocket costs, providing a dependent plan option for children and spouses/domestic partners of enrolled students, and creating administrative efficiencies for the University of California system. Our current service providers will remain the same (Anthem Blue Cross for medical, Delta Dental for dental, and UC Berkeley School of Optometry for vision), which will make the transition to the new plan seamless for students. See more plan details on the UHS website.
Plan Benefit Improvement Highlights
- Increased co-insurance coverage (from 80% to 90%; student pays 10%)
- Decreased generic prescription co-pay (from $15 down to $5)
- Increased prescription annual maximum (from $7,500 to $10,000)
- No maximum visit limit on counseling visits outside of UHS (the first five visits at UHS remain free of charge)
- 100% coverage for most immunizations (as defined by policy)
- 24/7 nursing telephone assistance line
- Increased physical therapy annual maximum (from $1,500 to $5,000)
- Increased coverage for acupuncture, chiropractic, and podiatry services
- Major dental services (crowns, implants) are now a covered benefit (50% coverage)
- Dependent plan option for children and spouses/domestic partners of enrolled students
- Medical and mental health office visits, emergency room visits, and urgent care center visits are not subject to the annual deductible. The UC SHIP deductible remains only $200 for those services to which the deductible does apply.