The Virginia Tech Future Faculty Development Program is an exciting and rewarding two-day program for doctoral candidates and post-doctoral scholars traditionally underrepresented in their fields who are interested in entering academic careers.
In collaboration with InclusiveVT, the 2018 Future Faculty program will be held November 27–29, 2018 in conjunction with the Advancing the Human Condition symposium on Virginia Tech’s Blacksburg campus, providing participants with the opportunity to engage in professional development and to have candid discussions with department heads, deans, and current faculty members about faculty life and the range of responsibilities of faculty in learning, discovery, and engagement.
Twenty participants will be hosted by Virginia Tech departments to tour research facilities, meet with current faculty to gain a greater awareness of research and teaching opportunities, and to discuss their career prospects and academic work. Participants are also expected to do give an academic research presentation.
- Be a graduate student or post-doctoral scholar within one year of seeking a faculty position at a research-intensive institution
- Demonstrate career goals, research interests, and academic potential that align with Virginia Tech’s mission and programs
- Be able to meaningfully contribute to the university’s continuing commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence
The 2018 Fall Future Faculty Development Program will be held November 27–29, 2018 at the Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center.
- Nominations from Virginia Tech faculty to this program are solicited in the summer and early fall and are due no later than September 4, 2018. VT faculty can nominate a candidate by completing the qualtrics survey to provide nominee names, current institution, contact information, area of disciplinary interest, how the nominee was identified, and a very brief (~1 paragraph) justification of the nominee’s qualifications.
- Although preference in selection is given to nominated applicants, we strongly encourage unnominated applicants as well and have often included unnominated applicants for our cohort to great success.
To apply for the program (both nominated and unnominated candidates) complete the online application and submit required materials (cover letter, curriculum vitae, and diversity statement) by September 20, 2018. Further inquiries about the program can be sent to FutureFaculty@vt.edu.