Each year, UC Berkeley and Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) in Belgium offer an exchange program for up to four doctoral candidates from each university to complete research for their dissertation during the summer or fall.
The ULB awards Berkeley students grants of €2500 (euros) to cover airfare and living expenses during their short-term stay at the University. Applicants propose a research project and contact a faculty mentor at ULB to sponsor their investigation.
PhD students from the following disciplines are strongly encouraged to apply: astronomy, chemical engineering, chemistry, engineering, education, energy and resources, environmental science and policy management, humanities and social sciences, life sciences, law, math, optometry, physics, psychology, public health, and statistics.
- The application should be received by the VSPA Program office by March 20, 2019 at the latest for a stay during the Summer or Fall of 2019.
- The applicant should seek out a faculty sponsor at ULB to mentor your research experience. To find a faculty sponsor, go to the ULB website and check the department you are interested in and see if there is a faculty member who would be interested in collaborating with you on your research project.
- The selection of the grantees will be made on following criteria:
- The quality of the candidate’s résumé as well as the proposed research project
- Special consideration will be provided to applications that provide benefits to the selected students as well to both universities.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Résumé of the PhD student applicant
- Description of the research project
- An invitation letter from of the ULB faculty sponsor
- Proposed beginning and ending dates of your research stay at ULB
The deadline to apply for the program is March 20, 2019. To learn more, visit the Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs Program Website. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.