The question above is one the Housing Office gets frequently, and the answer depends upon what kind of housing interests you. The campus housing options, Ida Louise Jackson Graduate House and Manville Apartments for single graduate students and family student housing at University Village* and Smyth Fernwald all have chronological waiting lists, so the best advice is to apply immediately. An overview of campus housing for graduate students is available on the Living At Cal website. (Select your student status on the pulldown menu to find information about each facility.)

For students interested in off-campus housing, Cal Rentals is the rental resource for the UC Berkeley community, providing information about the rental market, advice for conducting a housing search, and rental listings for students, faculty and staff.  Listings are available on-demand, online for a $20 fee that includes 3 months of online access.

Students who need a roommate can list an available room for free on the web.

If you are planning on living in an off-campus rental, timing your search depends upon a variety of factors related to your individual needs and summer scheduling. For more information, please consult when to look on the Cal Rentals website.

See below for contact information for your various housing options. All offices are located at 2610 Channing Way, Berkeley, CA 94720-2272.

Family Student HousingApartment Assignments Office.  Call (510) 642-4109 or email [email protected].

Manville Apartments and Ida Louise Jackson Graduate House Residence Hall Assignments Office. Call (510) 642-4108 or email [email protected].

Off-Campus Housing Call Cal Rentals at 642-3642 or email [email protected]