Student Academic Advisor

(510) 642-7331 |

Who am I?

Hi, I’m Laurie Roach. I work as a graduate student adviser in the Graduate Degrees Office. I’ve worked here in Berkeley’s Graduate Division since 1986. Though you might think I’ve seen or heard it all, I’m still surprised occasionally by the interesting questions, problems, and situations that may occur with graduate students here at Berkeley. Don’t fret, I’m here to help!

What do I do?

As the graduate student adviser for your major, I advise graduate students, faculty, staff, and the general public on a broad range of campus policies, procedures, and deadlines. I will also be reviewing your online Ph.D. dissertation or Master’s thesis to verify the awarding of your degree. If you need assistance with something, your best bet would be to first contact your department’s staff.

Many actions you may need to take will actually need to be initiated by your department, and will often require a signature of your department’s Head Graduate Adviser. Additionally, they are in the best position to advise you with regard to your specific program’s details and requirements. Your department’s staff person should be your first contact.

How to contact me

My preference would be to be contacted by email at However, please feel free to call me at (510) 642-7331. Please allow 48 hours for a return email or phone call. You may also come to my office in person at 318 Sproul Hall nearly any time (except the lunch hour) during the work week. Please call or email ahead to set up a time.

Staff List