Through this course GSIs learn about policies, practices, and standards that all instructors need to know in order to perform their responsibilities professionally and ethically. The course is structured in five modules:
- Promoting Learning through Diversity: The Inclusive Classroom
- Teaching Students with Disabilities
- Creating an Educational Environment Free of Sexual Harassment
- Fostering Academic Integrity
- GSI Responsibilities and Ethics
The goal of this online course is to enable GSIs to carry out their responsibilities in a manner that promotes student learning and their own growth as instructors while upholding the professional standards and expectations of the University. Along with the seminar on teaching and learning in higher education that GSIs take in their departments, the Teaching Conference, and the mentoring GSIs receive from the faculty member whom they teach with, this online course provides GSIs with an excellent foundation as they begin to teach at Berkeley.