Prospective Students  |  New Students  |  Current Students  |  International Students  |  Faculty & Staff  |  Alumni & Friends

E1.2 Minimum Course Loads for Certain Student Categories

Updated: May 25th, 2011

Part-time enrollment. Graduate students who wish to study on a part-time basis can be admitted only to those degree programs specifically approved by the Graduate Council for part-time study.  A modified schedule is also possible for women anticipating childbirth (see Section F5.2).

Fellowship recipients. Fellowship recipients must register and be enrolled in 12 units to be eligible. For more information on fellowships and registration requirements, contact Graduate Services Fellowships, 318 Sproul Hall, 642-0672.

Financial aid issues. Students who receive financial assistance from the Financial Aid Office must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 units. This requirement is already met by compliance with the general 12-unit minimum enrollment requirement per semester.  However, if, in an exceptional circumstances, a student receiving financial aid will be enrolled in less than 6 units, he or she must notify the Financial Aid Office (201 Sproul Hall, 642-0485).

Students who wish to defer repayment of Federal Direct Loans (formerly Stafford Loans) must register for at least a half-time (6 units) program to qualify for deferred repayment as required by the U.S. Department of Education. For information about how to defer repayment of student loans guaranteed by the federal government, contact the Financial Aid Office, Graduate and Professional Unit, 201 Sproul Hall (, 642-0485).

Graduate Student Instructors and Graduate Student Researchers. Graduate Student Instructors and Graduate Student Researchers not yet advanced to doctoral candidacy must carry a minimum of 12 units per semester in 100, 200, 300, or 400 series courses. (Units in the 600 series may be substituted for 200-level units when appropriate and lower division units taken to prepare for departmental requirements (e.g., requirements in languages, mathematics, or statistics) may be substituted for 100-level units).

Students receiving veterans’ benefits. Students who receive veterans’ benefits are required to be enrolled in a minimum of 8 units to receive educational benefits.  However, this requirement is already met by compliance with the 12-unit enrollment requirement per semester. For more information about veterans’ benefits, contact the Veterans Coordinator (Veterans’ Services, 120 Sproul Hall, 642-1592).

See All Topics in the Category: E. Course Work, Grading, Probation, and Dismissal