Are you a newly admitted graduate student looking for housing? This summer, Berkeley Housing is offering short-term temporary housing in the New Sequoia Apartments or Garden Village Apartments in Berkeley, perfect for newly-arriving students who need a place to stay while looking for more permanent housing. Current students who are staying for the summer can also stay in short-term contracts in the Panoramic Building in San Francisco.
Information on all temporary housing options, including rates, dates and Frequently Asked Questions can be found here. You can fill out the Summer Sessions Housing Application for free at portal.housing.berkeley.edu.
The apartment amenities include:
- Free wifi.
- In-building coin-operated laundry.
- One set of bed and bath linens (1 pillowcase, 2 sheets, 1 blanket, 1 pillow, 2 towels, 1 face cloth).
- Smoke- and pet-free rooms.
- In-apartment refrigerator, oven, stove, microwave (no cookware or dishes).
- Fully furnished apartments (bedroom, living and dining areas).
- Weekly housekeeping touch-up of shared areas (bathroom, kitchen, living / dining room).
How many people will share a bathroom, kitchen, and living /dining room?
- Double occupancy rooms (two twin-sized beds) may be in a one- or two-bedroom apartment and will share a bathroom, kitchen, and common area with additional two or three renters.
- Single occupancy rooms (one full-sized bed) are in a two-bedroom apartment and will share a bathroom, kitchen, and common area with up to two additional renters from the other room.
Rates and Contract Dates for Berkeley and San Francisco
Are the rooms single or mixed-gender?
Depending on demand, apartments may be single- or mixed-gender. Cal Housing will endeavor to keep apartments the same gender as well as accommodate preferences, but you may be placed in a mixed-gender apartment. Rooms will be same-gender.
What is the cancellation policy?
A non-refundable deposit ($225 for a single occupancy room and $150 for a double occupancy room) will be charged to your campus student billing account once you sign a temporary housing contract. The balance of the amount due will be charged after you check in or as noted below.
- Cancellations made 48 hours prior to the first date of the contract will be charged the non-refundable fee of $225 for a single occupancy room and $150 for a double occupancy room.
- Cancellations made less than 48 hours prior to the first date of the contract and no-shows will be charged the full amount of the temporary housing contract.
What time is check-in?
Check-in is 3 pm – 7 pm on the start date of your contract at the Unit 3 Front Desk at 2400 Durant Avenue, located at the lower level below the central plaza. Unit 3 is located 1.5 blocks from New Sequoia Apartments. Please contact Cal Housing to make check-in arrangements outside of this time, if needed.
Can I arrive earlier or later than the start date of my temporary housing contract?
Your bed space will be available only on the start date of your temporary housing contract. You may make arrangements to check in at a later date, but you will be billed for the full duration of your housing contract.
What if I leave earlier than the end date of my temporary housing contract?
If you check out before the end date of your contract, you must return your key and door access fob to the Unit 3 Front Desk at 2400 Durant Avenue between 7 am – 11 pm, Monday – Sunday. The office is located at the lower level below the central plaza.
You will be billed for the full duration of your contract even if you check out at an earlier date. Failure to turn in the key and fob will result in your account being charged.
Can I extend my housing contract past the end date?
Yes, but extensions are based on if space is available. Longer term options may be available as part of a summer housing contract.
Unfortunately, due to the beginning of the school year, all temporary housing occupants must move out no later than 12 pm on August 13, 2017. No extensions past this time/date will be allowed.
Can I ship packages to my temporary housing?
Packages ordered from Amazon.com can be shipped to an on-campus Amazon locker facility that is three blocks away. Amazon Locker provides you with a secure self-service delivery location to pick up and return your Amazon.com packages. Amazon Prime members can order any of 2 million items before noon and pick up the package the same day.
Is there storage available?
No. The building does not have any storage facilities. As all apartments are furnished, space in each is tight. You should consider a local storage company for any large belongings you need to bring with you.