Requesting an Application Fee Waiver
You must be a U.S. citizen or current permanent resident to be eligible for the graduate admissions application fee waiver (AB540 students may now apply for the fee waiver, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office for instructions).
There are two ways in which you may qualify for an application fee waiver:
- You are a current participant in certain programs that qualify for a fee waiver, or
- You can demonstrate financial need.
1. Program Participation
A) Participants in the following programs will be approved for a fee waiver once we confirm your participation. Applicants DO NOT need to provide verification of program participation for the following programs:
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Public Policy and International Affairs-Junior Summer Institute (PPIA)
- Berkeley’s Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP)
- Summer Undergraduate Program in Engineering at Berkeley (SUPERB)
- UC Leads Scholars Program (UC Leads)
B) Participants in the following programs must submit verification of program participation, such as a letter bearing the original signature of the program director or adviser, or a copy of the current contract. The verification document must be submitted by March 2, 2015.
- Florida A & M graduate
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Undergraduate Minority Biomedical Support (MBRS-IMSD)
- McNair Scholars Program
- Peace Corps
Financial need is determined by the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) number listed on your Student Aid Report (SAR), or by the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) on your tax return. To be eligible for the Fee Waiver:
- EFC cannot exceed $1,934.
- Annual family income cannot exceed the maximum AGI listed in the Family Income Guidelines chart below.
|FAMILY SIZE (including student)||FAMILY INCOME (Maximum AGI on Tax Return)|
|For each additional family member||add $7,437|
Required Documentation to Demonstrate Financial Need
To demonstrate financial need you must submit one of following three items by March 2, 2015:
- A statement of need from a financial aid officer at the college or university that you are currently attending. This statement must include your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC), the financial aid officer’s signature, and your signature verifying that the information reported is correct. The letter must be submitted on or before March 2, 2015.
- A photocopy of your 2015 – 2016 Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR is generated from the information that you provide on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov) form (available beginning January 1, 2015) and includes your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Do not submit a copy of your FAFSA.
- A copy of your 2014 Federal Income Tax return. Provide either your Form 1040, if listed as an independent, or a copy of your parent’s or guardian’s 2014 Federal Income Tax return, if listed as a dependent.
Make sure you redact all Social Security numbers before submitting the documents.
Mail documents to:
318 Sproul Hall #5900
Berkeley, CA 94720-5900
Application Fee Exemption Eligibility
The following categories of applicants are exempt from paying an application fee. If any of these categories apply to you, you may choose “Fee Exemption” in the payment section of the online application:
|Deferred admission||You were admitted to a previous term and were approved for a deferred admission|
|Readmission||You are readmitting to the university as a graduate student, either after completing a graduate degree or readmitting to a new degree program after a break in enrollment|
|Health and Medical Sciences Joint Degree (UCSF)||You are applying to the HMS Joint Degree program|
|MD/MPH Joint Degree (UCSF)||You are applying to the MD/MPH Joint Degree program|
|Optometry Residency Program||You are applying to the Optometry Residency Program at the School of Optometry|
|Education Abroad Program||You are applying to Course Work Only status through the EAP|
|Vietnam Education Foundation||You are an applicant sponsored by the Vietnam Education Foundation|
|LASPAU||You are applying through LASPAU|